Paper Definitions

June 2024:  Happy summer! Orders placed this week will ship out on Friday, June 21.

These are terms to used to describe the paper here at House of Languor.  Some terms have long and varied defintions technically, but have been condensed and are specific to what you will find in the shop.


Laid = verge = textured in waves or lines on the paper from screens the paper is "laid" on to dry, resulting in a felted, raised feel. Works well with inky pens, may not work well with very fine-tipped pens

Smooth paper = perfectly smooth and takes all pens well, those who must fight messy-handwriting problems while writing may prefer smooth paper over a laid paper

g = grams = weight of paper, for reference common thin printing paper is about 75g or 20lbs in American terms, common cardstock is usually around 176g or 65lbs

Deckle edges = edges of the paper that are wavy from an intentional decorative cut by machine or torn manually during the manufacturing process 

Smooth edges = when a paper is cut precisely straight, not torn or deckled edges

Flat card - a note card that does not open or fold, like your little note cards they made you use in high school when preparing for a speech, usually coming in about 3x5" or 4x6"

Folded card - a card folded in half, that can be opened.  Traditionally one might have their monogram or address on the front, or it might be left plain as something like a cover for the note written inside. 

Correspondence card - see flat card.

Lined envelope - an envelope with extra paper, tissue or silk glued inside to offer privacy to the contents and sometimes a splash of color or design.  Some envelopes are thick enough to not need a lining.

Writing sheets - Simply paper sheets for writing, when you have something to say beyond a few lines.  Sheets are usually of a lighter thickness than cards and reccomended for smaller children who tend to have larger handwriting and therefore need the space, likewise for men.